Thursday, January 25, 2007

Recipe: Simmered Okras and Tomatoes





Adapted from Best Ever Three & Four Ingredient Cookbook

Ingredidents:
Dash of Cinnamon
Dash of Cumin
Dash of Pepper
1 can of diced tomatoes with onions
Okras - About like 20

Directions:
Add tomotoes to pan. Put a big dash of cinnamon, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Slice up okras. Once it is boiling put okras into the mix. Mix around for 1-2 minutes. Then bring the heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes mixing once and a while until the okras are softer. Serve with rice.

My husband and I liked this dish a lot. The book said this was a Middle Eastern way of preparing okras. It had a very nice aroma. The original recipe also called for a dash a cloves and fresh coriander. I found the cook book at Costco for only $5.99. I don't usually buy cookbooks. I probably only have like 4 to my name including this one. :D But this one caught my attention. It has a lot pictures (like my favorite blogs). :) The only bad thing is sometimes it'll say buy store bought pancakes or buy pre made so and so. I think it's because it's trying to keep with being only a 3-4 ingredient recipe. Cheaters. :) I liked it though. I even brought it the gym to flip through while on the elliptical. That must of looked weird.

Well the budding cook is back and back to basics. Though my husband liked all the the exotic food I was making he has requested to eat rice again. :) So I'll be scouring your blogs for some good rice dishes. :) I already have many in mind. ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so easy ..why din I think of that?I love tomatoes! I like okras too(fried it with sambal before) but I did not really like to touch those slime. But your dish here, there is suppoesed to be slime...errr...it's like hungarian goulash...the slime will thicken the gravy. Nice...
This shd be good with rice...Mr. Budding Cook will like it, I'm sure :D

Melting Wok said...

budding, you need a promotion :) You cook the okra really well :)) Most of the times, the slimy okras are hard to handle. I love these with dried shrimps and malaysian sambal chili paste, so yummy with white rice/brown hehe :) Your recipe is great, saucy and yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Looks good! This one can eat with rice right?

BuddingCook said...

tiger- you are exactly right! the cookbook said that the slime hehe will thicken the gravy. :) Mr. Budding cook did like it hehe so did I. :)

melting- thanks! the budding cook is moving up?? hehe i still have a long way to go.

sims- yup we ate this dish with rice. i liked it. i bought okras for 3.50 a pound though? is that expensive. hehe

Anonymous said...

ooo i love okra and tomatoes :D